Sunday, February 15, 2009

What a weekend!

Tia and her teacher after winning 1st place on her valentine box.

A tired bunch of boys after staying awake for the past two nights.

Claire loved her little train we bought her and her birthday cupcake. This was taken immediately before she was quicker than her mommy and grabbed the candle and let out a huge scream.

For those of you that had a nice, quiet, Valentine's weekend, don't be too jealous or try to keep up with the Jones'. I am trying to catch my breath after an extremely busy weekend. In the midst of the craziness, David and I did exchange a card a small gift for each other, but a quiet date will have to come another time. God has show Himself in a mighty way and just the mere fact that I haven't collapsed is proof enough to me. We just finished up a Disciple Now weekend with the youth at church. There were 72 youth involved in the weekend, 12 of those staying at our house. The Jr. and Sr. boys stayed with us all weekend and believe it or not, my house is still standing! I was very proud of these boys and saw some great times of fellowship and devotions with the Lord and one another. They can certainly eat and without the help of another dear couple I would have gone broke trying to feed them. Saturday breakfast alone consisted of 2 dozen eggs, 2 lbs of bacon, 16 large biscuits, gravy, a box of pancake mix, bananas, a gallon of milk, and a carton of juice. During the 5 hours that they were gone doing mission work on Saturday we slipped away and went to Tia's last basketball game and my neice's first birthday party. Brandon also had a baseball scrimmage that I had to miss, but David watched in the nice cold air.

I do have to say that I hope God spoke to the ladies in my Sunday School class this morning, because if they got anything at all out of it, it was definately God and not me! I went to my room last night around midnight to continue looking over my lesson and think I crashed the moment I sat down. Here are just a few of the pictures from our weekend. To God be the GLORY for the things He has done! It was not by my strength, or by my power, but by His strength. (Zech. 4:6).

FYI - Mom was NOT smiling!

Look at what can happen in just a matter of moments. Just as I completed typing this but before submitting it, I told Brandon and his friend that I smelled something burning. We didn't see anything, but I remembered he had a candle burning upstairs to improve the aroma after a houseful of boys was gone. He ran upstairs to check and screamed for me to get the fire extinquisher. As I ran upstairs with my heart pounding, I saw the candle that had begun burning the coffee beans around it and it wouldn't blow out with about a 8 inch flame. So much for my pretty candle. He set it in the bathtub and turned the water on. The flames shot all the way up the shower and left behind lots of smoke and black flame marks. After letting my heart stop pounding, I decided to finish and send a picture of the little mishap. I am praising God that He allowed us to smell it before it got any worse. I couldn't help but think of the time my mom's house burned down and about the terrible fire of my blogger friend, Linny, and say thank you Jesus for your protection. I didn't even have to use the fire extinquisher, but boy did it scare me!


John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great Blog! new blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug:

cjevans said...

I can't believe that candle! Good thing you smelled it. I can't believe how big Tia is getting. She is such a beautiful girl. I'm praying for your family and hopefully the new daughter that will be joining yall!