Sunday, November 9, 2014

November 8-Discipline

because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. (Proverbs 3:12 NIV)

                                  
How can we love our children so much and yet discipline them, or far worse, fail to discipline them?

In the classroom it is generally easy to tell which children have been disciplined at home and which ones have not.  So many parents think they are doing their children a favor by being their friend and not being too harsh with them.  Sadly, it is often those students who are disrespectful and difficult to teach.  Unfortunately, the lines have become so tangled and parents either discipline too harshly or not at all.  In either case, the child is the one who suffers. 

What a heartbreaking thing to see the results of parents who cause harm to their children and often have them placed in foster care due to abuse.  I am so thankful for friends who open their homes to provide a safe haven for these children; ones who long to be loved and disciplined in a way that demonstrates love.  Would you be one of those who opens your home to provide that safe haven for a precious child? 

Discipline is never pleasant at the time, but I am thankful that my heavenly Father loves me enough to discipline me and not leave me the same. Each child is so different and needs to be disciplined in his/her own way. I know I have failed miserably at times in the way I have disciplined my own children.  Thank goodness, my Heavenly Father is THE PERFECT PARENT and He is able to supply   my children's every need-what a relief to know that when I am weak, He is strong. I am so thankful my own parents and parent-in-laws were able to discipline in love and I pray my own children will remember that as well and be able to pass that down to their children for generations to follow. 


No comments: